In 1776, Empress Maria Theresa of Austria built a masonry embankment in Lagundo near Merano. This was meant to serve as protective bulwark against flooding of the Adige River. This masonry can still be visited today. Not far away, on the left bank of the river, lie the ruins of an ancient imperial Roman road bridge along the route of the original "Via Claudia Augusta". Construction of the bridge dates to the first century AD. Today, the ruins of the bridge have the status of protected monuments. At the head of the bridge is also a small shrine and chapel.
Roman Bridge Head and Masonry Embankment
Zip code: 39022